So not one to just give up my glow because a little cold weather is on it's way. That's just plain silly loves. But a natural realistic glow is also important to me. Even though I am soooo faking it...(HUSH..shhhh) it's all in the name of the beauty. Besides cellulite just looks better tan or at least that's what I tell myself. Teeth also appear whiter.
I have tried so many self tanners and they were disasters. One was streaky, one had the funniest smell, and the other was just simply too greasy and NEVER dried staining my sheets and towels and everything else I came into contact with including my very white puppy Henry. (that was the biggest disaster) Another gave me bright orange palms. These moments were so embarrassing. I am also too busy to go get air brush tanning and worry about the chemicals involved. I also just do not want to fuss with one more appointment to keep up with. My Barcelona Visa paperwork is keeping me busy enough these days.
Here are some tips for your flawless self tanner application! We have all heard them before but these are excellent reminders. Thanks LC!
- One of the most important steps for self-tanning is to exfoliate your skin. Before you get started, hop into the shower and give your skin a good scrub.
- Also, avoid shaving immediately before (or after) applying self tanner.
- When your skin is nice and clean, towel off and make sure you are completely dry. Once you’re dry, apply a barrier ointment (Vaseline, Aquaphor, Bag Balm…) onto your fingernails, toenails and cuticles to avoid discoloration.
- Every self-tanner is different and they come in all different forms (gels, foams, lotions, sprays, towelettes… just to name a few). Your application strategy will depend on which one you choose to use. Sprays are pretty simple. They can be done over an old towel and dry fairly quickly. When applying gels, lotions or foams, one of the biggest mistakes that people make is getting it on their palms. I hate this. You can avoid this by cleaning your hands immediately after applying the self-tanner.
- Using a nailbrush and soap, scrub your palms to make sure none of the tanner remains. This strategy comes with some risk though and might not be 100% effective. If you don’t want to use your bare hand you can always slip on a pair of disposable latex gloves to protect them. Another way to avoid orange palms is to simply not use your hands. Instead, use a sponge paintbrush (you can buy these at hardware stores). Try to get one that is 3 inches wide for effective coverage.
- Before you get started, always test a small amount of self-tanner on your skin. The same tanner can react differently on two separate people, so always try a test spot the day before to make sure you won’t end up looking crazy.
- When you are ready to apply begin at your feet and work your way up to avoid creasing the color by bending over.
- Once your entire body (with the exception of your palms and the bottom of your feet) has an even coat of self-tanner on it, apply a layer of lotion around your wrists, ankles, elbows, the backs of your knees and underarms. Basically you are slightly diluting the color in these areas that naturally appear lighter on your body. This will make your tan appear most realistic.
- Wait at least ten minutes before putting on any clothes and wear something dark to avoid staining.
My absolute favorite self tanning product right now is GLOWING self tanning mousse from Feel. Glowing can revitalize a dull complexion, even out your skin tone and can help camouflage any dark uneven spots. Polyplant Suntan, a combo of Algae, Horse Chestnut, St. John’s Wort, Chamomile and Walnut proven to naturally enhance melanin for a deep real-looking tan each and every time. It also comes with the fool proof applicator to make sure I get a perfect natural glow every time. Plus the packaging! I am a sucker for packaging and this stuff is sooooo pretty! And they never test on animals. SWOON.
- Made with 100% Natural DHA, so you don’t need to worry about harsh chemicals on your skin. Praise the tanning gods!!!!
- No need to wash it off! Glowing gives you a tan within 6 hours.
- Smells great (Really) Pinky Promise
- Zero streaking, ever.
- Natural looking glow that lasts for days.
- Absolutely won’t come off on your clothes
- And you get the sweetest little affirmations in the packaging...
I am in love. And I am glowing!
Do you have any self tanner stories to share with me?! The good, the bad..I wanna hear it! It cannot be worse then a little white dog who turned orange from rubbing against my legs.
This post includes sponsored content from Feel. #thisisfeel