Annual Purge-Closet Makeover
Happy New Year dears. New year. New Start. And the perfect start is getting organized if you ask me. I love to start in my closets and drawers and then work my way around the house...linen closet, medicine cabinet, pantry, and that crazy infamous "junk drawer" in my kitchen where we put EVERYTHING that has no place. I am a huge fan of the capsule closet and even found that I STILL have too much. It just sorta accumulates and I do not even know why or how it happens. Let's not even discuss my unmentionables. How oh how does that drawer get as insane as it does? Drives me nuts, absolutely nuts. It's like a tornado comes through it every few months. And ladies..panties and bras just wear out...right? Please don't tell me it's only mine. Oh gosh, I might need some therapy. SURELY, it's not just mine.
So I am on a mission again to make the most of these closets. With the move to Barcelona, we will be renting a longer term vacation property for a while and Lin has already warned me that the closets are probably on the smaller scale. When I ask him to define a smaller scale, he quickly changes the subject. So I got on line and did a little research of my future home and OMFG you guys. Looks like the oven might become the sweater storage again and the kitchen pantry will become the purse and shoe storage. And I only own 52 pieces with shoes and bags....LE SIGH. Deep, deep sigh. It's the first of the year and I am already feeling anxious and not feeling anxious was at the very top of my 2017 goal list.
So with all the fabulous ideas out there I have decided to incorporate a few things to help guide me through this whole minimal closet process and I hope you will find them incredibly helpful too. We girls gotta stick together...heck, gentlemen too. Lin has more clothes than me and is excited to try these tips and tricks. Let's embrace being minimilistic in all the areas we can in our lives and get on board with the annual purge!!
- So first...take a deep breath. You can do this. I repeat..you can do this. It's going to feel amazing redefining your relationship with clothing and this will allow you to begin redefining other relationships in your life too.
- Next..turn all your hangers the direction you prefer. I like mine frontwards. (this only takes a minute too) When you wear anything, put it back the way you found it. In June, you'll be able to see everything that you don't wear. At that time donate it. Bless and release and don't look back. Don't you dare look back.
- Purses and bags are a hard one for me. I such a sucker for vintage clutches and Loeffler Randall's. The trick for me here is to go through each bag and really determine the last time you used it. If the lining of the vintage clutch needs to be replaced but it has needed replacing for a year now, you most likely are not going to have it repaired so I would let those go. I remind myself why I never carry a particular bag I like too. When reminded of the frustrations, it makes it easier to part with it. I had this amazing oxblood studded Loeffler cross-body bag but every time I carried it the strap would come undone on one side. I also had this amazing designer Mulberry hobo bag in a beautiful soft black leather and amazing braided handle...gosh I loved that bag but I NEVER used it. And finally parted with it once I remembered how much pain that bag gave my shoulder and how I could never find anything in it. All of this helps narrow down that purse inventory.
- Scarves and jewelry are also a tough one for me. I am imagining this is a hard one for most ladies out there. The same rules apply here. These pieces do not take up a lot of room but you have to ask yourself how much of it do you actually need? How often do you wear it? Was it a trendy impulse purchase? Have you worn it in the last six months? And for all that costume jewelry..if there are pieces missing, clasps broken...and you have been just waiting months to have it repaired, just donate it. You went this long without needing it. I was going to show you a photo of my current jewelry situation but I am just too embarrassed. It is a hot mess right now and organizing it is at the top of this week's agenda.
- Shoes....still mastering this one loves. They are my favorite thing in life. Still deciding if I should keep the two above in this annual purge. What tips and tricks do you have when you are cleaning out your shoe inventory?!
Okay. Time to tackle this project. Let's do it together. Ready. Set. GO!
Happy 2017 !!!! Grateful for ALL of you. Hope everyone at least dressed up to watch the ball drop on the tube. I personally loved that they celebrated the CST time zone in New Orleans.