Lemony Chicken Romano
This easy easy full of flavor dish will easily be added to your weekly dinner rotation ! I love cooking with lemons and love the Greek and Italian flavors combined with this !
- 2 (8 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, halved horizontally*, and pounded to 1/2-inch thick
- 2 oz shredded Whole Milk Mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup)
- 2 oz shredded Provolone cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 oz finely shredded Romano cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Zest of 1 lemon (2 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon slices or wedges for serving (you can just use the one that was zested)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle each side of the chicken cutlet lightly with salt (about 1/16 tsp per each side), let stand at room temperature 20 minutes. Combine Mozzarella and Provolone cheese in a bowl, set aside.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together flour and egg until smooth. In a separate shallow dish, toss together Panko bread crumbs, Romano cheese, oregano, lemon zest, garlic powder and 1/4 tsp pepper. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Working with 1 chicken cutlet at a time, dredge chicken in egg mixture coating both sides and allowing excess to run off, then immediately transfer to Romano mixture and coat both sides with mixture, while pressing gently to allow crumbs to adhere. Transfer chicken to a plate and repeat process with remaining chicken cutlets. Pour 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and vegetable oil into a 10-inch non-stick skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add 2 coated chicken cutlets and fry without moving them until bottom is crispy and golden brown, about 2 minutes, then using metal tongs rotate to opposite side and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer fried chicken to a large plate lined with paper towels to drain. Repeat process with remaining 2 pieces of chicken.
- Place cutlets on rimmed baking sheet, sprinkle tops with Mozzarella cheese mixture and transfer to preheated oven to bake until internal temperature registers 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer, about 12 minutes (you can broil during the last 1 - 2 minutes if desired). Remove from oven and garnish with lemon slices or wedges, serve warm. Squeeze fresh lemon juice from lemon slices over chicken just before enjoying.
- *freeze chicken breasts for 15 minutes to help slice easier, then lye breast flat and trim into two pieces through the thickness of the breast.
It's the perfect Monday night meal !