Supper Club--Meat Loaf & Smashed Brussels For NYE
Staying In for New Year's Eve Is What It's All About!
If you've got a meatloaf in the oven and Champagne and Spanish wine flowing freely, your place is probably the best party on the planet.
And yes I did say meatloaf...(this stuff has such a bad reputation but when made this way, oh my goodness, it's so darn tasty.)
And Brussel Sprouts....
How did two of my least fave dishes as a kid become my absolute favorite as an adult?!!
For 8 years now, we have stayed in and cooked a delish meal and played board games and got tons of beauty sleep and these are way better memories than any night out that I can remember.
So let's just get to the recipes, shall we?!
REE DRUMMOND'S MEATLOAF RECIPE
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 6 slices Wheat Bread or whatever bread you have
- 2 pounds Ground Beef
- 1 cup (heaping) Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- 3/4 teaspoons Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup Minced Flat-leaf Parsley
- 4 whole Eggs, Beaten
- 10 slices Thin/regular Bacon
- 1-1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- Tabasco To Taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour milk over the bread slices. Allow it to soak in for several minutes.
Place the ground beef, milk-soaked bread, Parmesan, seasoned salt, salt, black pepper, and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Pour in beaten eggs.
With clean hands, mix the ingredients until well combined. Form the mixture into a loaf shape on a broiler pan, which will allow the fat to drain. (Line the bottom of the pan with foil to avoid a big mess!)
Lay bacon slices over the top, tucking them underneath the meatloaf.
Make the sauce: add ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and hot sauce in a mixing bowl. Stir together. Pour 1/3 of the mixture over the top of the bacon. Spread with a spoon.
Bake for 45 minutes, then pour another 1/3 of the sauce over the top. Bake for another 15 minutes. Slice and serve with remaining sauce.
SMASHED BRUSSELS RECIPE
- 2 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chopped thyme
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl.
- Blanch brussels sprouts: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add brussels sprouts and cook until bright green and very tender, about 10 minutes. Add brussels sprouts to ice bath to cool then drain.
- On a large baking sheet, toss blanched brussels sprouts with olive oil, garlic and thyme. Using the end of a small glass or mason jar, press down on the brussels sprouts to smash them into a flat patty. Season each smashed brussels sprout with salt and pepper, then sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan on top.
- Bake until the bottoms of the sprouts are crispy and the cheese is melted and golden, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
Seriously the best! The best!